Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Love and War



I've been messing around with "Still Life Photography" lately, because I want to get better at expressing the way I perceive an object's texture, shape, size and material. Most of the time when I shoot, I riff off of the feeling that someone gives me or the natural mood of a location or the random god given light that I'm fortunate to find. But still life shooting strips all those things away. It breaks photography down into its minimal elements: subject, camera and light.

I've been working primarily with artificial light, in controlled seamless environments, because I think it helps me learn faster. After some trial and error, and reading a bunch of books. I am starting to get the hang of it. To predict how light will behave, I have to gain a greater understanding of scientific principles.

The cool thing about approaching photography from a scientific standpoint, is that principles of light never change. Its not like I'm dealing with man-made photography technology that I have to keep relearning every 6 months. This is more like, I'm learning the rules that govern how matter and energy behave in our universe.

These photos are sampled from a series I created for "Love and War" a while back. Just some "doodles", figuring out how "Still Life" works. I'm in the process of setting up a little still life studio in my home. So I'll get a some more shots uploaded after I'm done playing around with it.





Labels: